How I started in SEO
My timeline to date:
- 1994 – Working as a copywriter and technical author.
- 1997 – My first taste of UX working for a bank.
- 1999 – My SEO career begins working for a startup.
- 2009 – I launch my technical SEO consultancy.
How long have I been an SEO Consultant?
I am now into my 19th year as an SEO consultant specialising in SEO Audits. And if you want to know if my knowledge is enough to understand how to undertake an SEO audit, then I created the 198-point SEO audit checklist that covers every point inspected and if you think you can do these yourself, then you can simply follow what I have outlines.
I am now into my 9th since going freelance (best move I ever made…), have no affiliations to any companies and work independently from my offices in Chester, UK.
I specialise in technical aspects of search engine optimisation while focussing heavily on ensuring sites follow Google’s ever-changing best practices.
There are currently 3 of us in the business:
- Cameron – Trainee under my tutelage (and also my son)
- Janet – Full-time copywriter
Webinars, Publications and Talks
I love to impart advice so am always involved in a wide range of online technical webinar’s & podcasts, writing for magazines or speaking at events. You can see all of those I have been involved in, below.
- As I write this, I am an OnCrawl ambassador: Click Here
- Interview with OnCrawl: Click Here
- Internal Links webinar for SEMRush: Click Here
- Podcast on Technical SEO with Bill Hartzer: Click Here
- I received a Search Community honour: Click Here
- Article on Mobile Search published in Recruiter Magazine: Click Here
- Website page copy article published in Recruiter Magazine: Click Here
- Programmatic Advertising article published in Recruiter Magazine: Click Here
- Mobile First article published in Recruiter Magazine: Click Here
- Mobile Friendly article published in Recruiter Magazine: Click Here
- Advanced SEO webinar for SEMRush: Click Here
- Bad Link Webinar for SEMRush: Click Here
- Most harmful SEO mistakes webinar for SEMRush: Click Here
- SEO Surgery webinar for SEMRush: Click Here
- Ecommerce SEO Webinar for SEMRush: Click Here
- Search Marketing Scoop webinar with David Bain: Click Here
- How to deal with a Google Penalty webinar: Click Here
- Getting to grips with Answer Engines for SEMRush: Click Here
- Review on Trustpilot: Click Here
- SEO Insights for Accuranker: Click Here
- The importance of UX in Marketing: Click Here
With more than 19 years of experience as an SEO Consultant, I have come across and solved just about every technical SEO issue you can imagine. I love helping companies decipher complex on-page and off-page concerns.
The technical SEO services I offer through iQ SEO, focus on revenue growth through a range of strategies – this is both profitable and scalable for all of my clients. This is tied in with link acquisition and a focus on CTR, visitor retention and a strong internal linking structure.
Each campaign begins with a technical SEO audit which will uncover a wide range of possible issues before moving on to the on-page and off-page work.