What is a Website SEO Audit?
A website SEO Audit is a methodical process whereby we inspect more than 230 ranking factors and then work with the results to make changes that will positively impact your business goals.
These will help you and your team to identify major and fixable errors on your website. Based on these findings, you are then able to use the document to create a solid SEO strategy – starting with what is holding you back.
If site performance is impacted in any way, a website audit conducted by a leading UK SEO consultant is how you will identify the issues.
How we Audit your website
Your website is inspected in a very methodical way with a set of processes perfected through years of experience.
Today, there are few who match our ability to uncover what is going on in the background with a website.
Our process is as follows:
- Fact Finding – We first take the time to understand you, your business, competition and concerns.
- Technical Obstacles – By checking the technical elements of your website, we can either diagnose or rule these out as being a problem that might impede future SEO strategies.
- Keyword Research – A thorough look at the keywords you use along with the intent, allows us to ensure you’re not duplicating and are targeting the correct audience.
- Mobile Audit – With more than 50% of visitors now using mobile devices, it makes sense to ensure your mobile/responsive site is delivering pages correctly and quickly. Google agrees.
- Site Architecture – Improving crawlability for the search engines is key to helping them understand more about your site. We analyse your internal links and any silos in place.
- Backlink Audit – Using a variety of methods, we can drill down into your backlink profile and advise you of any areas of concern including toxic neighbourhoods and PBN’s.
- Content Strategy – A key to ranking well is by having amazing content. We can ensure you aren’t duplicating any pages and are meeting the minimum expected requirements.
- Security Audit – Is your site secure? Is everything up to date? Are you blacklisted anywhere? The security element of the audit will highlight any issues.
- UX Audit – Are your pages underperforming? Do you know what visitors are doing on your pages? By analysing visitor interaction, we can suggest positive changes to support conversions.
- Summary & Roadmap – A thorough summary and roadmap of changes completes your audit and gives you everything you need to help start correcting website issues.
It is important to note that your SEO Audit is completed, hand-compiled and written up by freelance SEO consultant, Andy Drinkwater. No work is outsourced and no automated reports are delivered. You will receive a custom PDF document that shows you every site issue and explains what you need to do to correct them.
Do you need an Audit?
This is always a difficult question and there is never a black & white answer, but if it helps, follow these few pointers to help you decide.
- Has your website seen an unexplainable drop in search positions?
- Are there warnings in Search Console?
- Has development work impacted search traffic?
- Has your site recently undergone a migration?
- Do you suspect someone is attacking your site?
- Has the site never been updated in line with Google recommendations?
- Are conversation rates diminishing?
- Would you just like to know you are doing everything right?
If you have any more questions, please just get in touch using the form at the end of this page.
Which SEO tools do we use?
It is no secret that each SEO audit needs to start with knowing what is going on with the site and to do this we (and every other SEO…) need to use a range of tools to identify these issues.
In the interest of transparency, this is a list of many of the tools used to inspect various site elements. There are more, but they are a bit more specific and don’t get opened as often.
|Ahrefs||Browser Spy||AMP Validator|
|Cognitive SEO||BuiltWith||Webpage Test.org|
|Deep Crawl||Dejan HREFLang Tool||Mobile Moxie|
|Netpeak Spider||Wayback Machine||Lighthouse|
|OnCrawl||LRT Link Redirect Trace||GTMetrix|
|Rank Active||Structured Data Testing Tool||Google & Bing Mobile Test|
|SEMRush||Redirect Checker.org||SERP TRACKING|
|Sistrix||Google Search Console||SEMRush|
|Website Auditor||Code Beautify.org|
|KEYWORD RESEARCH||Reverse IP Lookup||Ahrefs|
|SEMRush||uClassify||Link Research Tools|
|Keywordtool.io||Marie Haynes Blacklist|
|Page Optimizer Pro||HotJar|
|Keyword Revealer||Yandex Metrica|
What does an SEO Audit Cover?
|Number of pages checked||Up to 1,000||1,001-10,000+|
|Final strategy Summary||✓||✓|
|Help with Implementation||✓||✓|
|External Backlink Report||Limited||Complete|
|Search Console Analysis||✓||✓|
|Google Cache Analysis||✓||✓|
|Site Protocol Check||✓||✓|
|Home Page Link Consistancy||✓||✓|
|Print Version Use||✓||✓|
|Internal Linking Use||✓||✓|
|Redirects (Int. & Ext.)||✓||✓|
|Category Use (eComm)||✓|
|Fire & URL Naming Convention||✓||✓|
|TECHNICAL / SERVER ISSUES|
|Protocol Use (http/https)||✓||✓|
|Links all Reachable?||✓||✓|
|Broken / Redirected Links||✓||✓|
|Security / Malware Check||✓||✓|
|Popups / Interstitials||✓||✓|
|Mobile Page Size||✓||✓|
|Mobile Content Check||✓||✓|
|Search Console Issues||✓||✓|
|Site check on Mobile||✓||✓|
|Site Check on Tablet||✓||✓|
|Mobile UX issues||✓||✓|
|Use of video on Mobile||✓||✓|
|HTML USE / ELEMENT ANALYSIS|
|Heading Tags (H1, H2 etc)||✓||✓|
|Category Pages (eComm)||✓|
|# Words Used||✓||✓|
|Pages with high bounce||✓||✓|
|Best & Worst Ranking||✓||✓|
|NEGATIVE PRACTICE CHECK|
|TIME TO COMPLETE||7-10 days||10-15 days|
Get In Touch
If you would like to either book an audit or have questions relating to the process, costs or specifics surrounding your business or niche, then please contact us or use the form below.